Sunday 24 August 2008

Creating Space


It's that time of year again, when I feel the urge to do a "spring clean". (Yes I do know that it is nearly autumn.) I always see spring and autumn as seasons of transition. I love all of the seasons, but I feel the need to cleanse my home and my life generally at this time of year, as if to prepare for the coming winter months. Incidentally my most successful detoxes have usually been in September.

For me spring cleaning is a permanently on-going process, a way of life and a state of mind, but there are times when I am more focused on creating space than usual. Clutter clearing never seems to be finished! Really I aspire to a minimalist lifestyle, with no clutter anywhere and discreet storage everywhere, where the eyesight flows along clear surfaces and while I believe this is achievable (hopefully) stuff just seems to accumulate, especially paper clutter. Whenever I feel a little sluggish or bogged down or as if the energy in my life and environment doesn't seem to be flowing smoothly, a good clutter clear feels so good!

I view clutter clearing and spring cleaning holistically. Something that works on all levels, body mind and spirit. I tackle my home, I try to clear out my physical system by eating healing foods and I try to clear the junk from my mind too. I try to create sacred space within my home and revitalise all aspects of my life. Due to the interconnectedness of all things, I also believe that the external environment is merely a physical expression of the internal environment, so that by clearing out that cupboard under the stairs, your wardrobe, the kitchen drawer, you really are cleaning your body, mind and spirit too! Working externally affects the internal condition, just as inner work affects the external condition.

Creating space allows Divine providence to act more effectively in your life. Divine Providence is where what you need comes to you when you need it. For example, the other day I was generously given a hoover by a neighbour who was buying a new one. Now I already have a vacuum cleaner, so I didn't really need one but this was a Dyson, so looked nicer and newer than my vacuum cleaner which has probably seen better days and was already quite old when it was given to me (although it has always worked perfectly)! At this point I did think "oh no two hoovers, more clutter!". A couple of days later my partner, who is a builder, was working in a lady's house and she a room full of stuff she wanted to get rid of, including a computer. Now my own computer's memory was choc-a-block and I really needed a bigger hard drive, so I was very happy when my partner came home with a computer with a slightly bigger hard drive / memory than mine! I transferred my stuff on to the new(er) one and cleaned up my one. I was able to give the old computer to my friend who didn't have one (as she says, bringing her out of the dark ages) and amazingly it turned out that the lady who had kindly given me her computer.......needed a hoover! Its amazing how things work out! Thats what I call Divine providence in action! I needed a computer with more memory and the Law of Attraction set to work and hey presto! I got exactly what I needed and a lovely new vacuum cleaner too! Not only did I get what I needed but I was able to act as an agent of Divine Providence and pass on to others what they needed. Isn't life amazing?

So over the next few days I shall be clearing out, tidying up, cleaning, shredding, chucking, recycling, deleting (musn't forget the computer) filing, pruning, re-organising and cleansing. All of this is in an effort to create space. Space allows the brain to think more freely, energy to flow, the body to move. Space in your home allows the energy to move and to shift things in your life. Who knows what amazng things will happen as a result!

No comments: